Scar Tissue


I had funny thought today about scar tissue.

A year ago I had my gall bladder removed and have three thick circular black scars on my abdomen. They are about the size of a pencil eraser. I was examining them today and relax the scars were numb to feeling.

As a test, I took a sharp knife running its edges over the scar, not to make it bleed but to see if my skin could feel prickles. It did not. So I pressed on it in several areas leaving indentations. Nothing. Then I pressed deep, not to hurt myself but out of curiousness. I didn’t even break the skin however applying pressure the skin beneath puckered scar felt pinched. 

The thought then occured to me how after a wound heals, the skin forms a protective thick layer incredibly hard to dissect. It perhaps does this during the healing process to protect the areas wounded. I can imagine if you were to perforate this scar tissue (only), the dead nerves would perceive no pain.

This got me thinking about our hearts.  The place where our emotional hopes, dreams, desires, love and hate live. If we are caused enough emotional pain, do we instinctively grow scar tissue? I think so as we are all creatures who are here for self preservation and survival. How many times in a lifetime can ones heart break until this scar bonds with our emotions? More importantly, does that mean there is some deep emotional layer that when there is penetration the pain is not recognizable unless you get past the scar. Is love and heartbreak like that? To love a damaged person do you have to go deep enough to open those layers to find the “emotional” nerve. 

Comments

Popular Posts